Aside from first-rate editing skills, one of our main strengths is that we have a deep understanding of academic communication (the target audience, the tone and so on) and of how academic institutions operate (the hierarchy and decision making process, for instance). As well as promoting the harmonious working relationships that we share with our clients, this allows us to analyse and act on projects more quickly than others might.
For examples of the projects that we have worked on recently, please check out our Case Studies.
If your document requires a quick proofread, then that's what we'll do. If it needs deep structural editing then we won't hesitate to make more extensive changes. And because we charge by the hour and quote on each project, you can be sure that you'll only pay for what we do (proofreading will take less time; substantive editing more).
In short, we focus on improving documents in the following areas:
- Standardisation of terms
To ensure fairness, we'll provide a quote based on an initial quick, free-of-charge analysis of your document.
Unlike some editing houses, we don't charge an averaged dollar per word figure, because doing so would mean that clients with a higher than average writing standard would subsidise those with a lower standard.
If you'd first like to get a rough cost of editing your document, please use our Approximate Cost Calculator.
Your Editing Partner
If you or your department has a regular need for editing, then why not set up a monthly package?
- No minimum charge on individual documents; ideal for short pieces
- Low minimum monthly charge of HK$400
- Preferential rate of HK$0.60 per word for express work
- Pre-set rate dispenses with the need for individual quotes
- Simplified workflow and single detailed monthly invoice
In every piece of writing, we develop a clearly stated theme and present your information in a logical, easy-to-read sequence. At all stages, we work with you to produce writing that effectively communicates your message.
The process begins with a firm quotation, taking into consideration any information you have given us and whether we need to conduct any research.
For complex tasks and larger projects, we issue a quotation after an initial meeting at which the desired message, available information and workflow are discussed.
Copywriting is usually charged at a rate of HK$6 per word of final copy.
Information Architecture (Websites Only)
Before writing multiple webpages, we can provide you with an overview of their information architecture for approval. This overview will comprise:
- A visual representation of how the pages will link to one another
- An outline of page content
- A listing of outbound links by page
With this in hand, you'll have a preview of what the pages will offer readers and how they can be navigated.
Responsiveness to your suggestions is the mainstay of our writing. We write a first draft according to an agreed-upon schedule and make any necessary changes after receiving your feedback. The number of drafts is decided at the initial meeting and is dependent on the complexity of the project and your needs.
With experience on large projects using content management systems, multiple document delivery by email and the exchange of hardcopy documents, we:
- Establish initial style guidelines
- Develop exhaustive style and usage guides, where appropriate
- Coordinate our editing schedule with your writing schedule
- Implement documented workflows
- Undertake quality assurance
- Respond rapidly to feedback
Other procedures can be included on request.
- Departmental websites
- Student prospectuses
- Annual reports
- Letters to staff members
- Letters to clients
- Case studies
- Application letters
- Internal circulation emails
- Meeting minutes
- Poster copy
- Advertising flyers
- Departmental annual reports
- In-house magazines
- Micro-site promotional copy
We've thus developed a sophisticated system simply based on your email. There's nothing for you to sign-up to and nothing to remember. We create an account based on your email address (or addresses) that allows us to:
- Keep track of all of our email communication.
- Keep a record of all of your quotes, invoices and history with us.
- Issue project updates as we work on your document.
- Issue invoices, receipts, editing certificates and coupons.
All client information and documents are stored safely behind a password-protected area on our server.